Friday, September 20, 2013

A Really Sad Story

Okay, first of all let me preface this story with the fact that it is really not that sad in the grande scheme of life, but in the moment it was truly devastating

September 14, 2013
It was the day of the A&M v. Bama game. The "biggest game of all of college football this season," according to ESPN. The hype in College Station was absolutely insane. We already have a traffic problem here but this week took it to a whole new level. 
So my roommates and I planned to leave several hours early to give ourselves time to get on campus, walk around to some tailgates, and just soak in the game day atmosphere. We tucked our IDs and tickets into our boots and started the very long trek from our car to campus. As we were coming up to Kyle Field, I looked down to check my boot for my ticket. My heart immediately dropped.. It wasn't there... I was overwhelmed with a sinking feeling of disappointment, anger at myself, self-pity, and the surprising urge to laugh/cry hysterically. Why me, out of all games...
Well really long story short, we did everything we could to find it, and believe me I mean everything. But I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I couldn't go to THE game of the year. I'm not going to lie, it was a very depressing time. 
So anyways I called up one of my friends who was unfortunately, but fortunately for me, unable to go to the game we as well. I asked her to come get me from campus so I could watch the game with her at her house. Once in the car I told her my pathetic story. I have to say I was proud of myself for holding back tears, but once I called my mom, I'll admit, a few did escape. 
But throughout this whole event so many truths were popping into my mind. 

1. God totally could have provided me with another opportunity to get into the game. (He didn't, but He sure could have)

2. Finding joy in all situations-- because our joy comes from The Lord and not from some overrated, over-priced football game. (I realize what I just said was blasphemous by an Aggie in the Deep South, but this is for the purpose of the lesson. Fact is, eternally, football doesn't last.)

3. Be thankful always, for everything. I was so glad that my friend didn't have to spend her Saturday watching the game alone because everyone else had plans to go. I knew in that instance how sad she must have been when she realized she wouldn't be able to attend. But also, selfishly, I was glad that I didn't have to spend my Saturday alone. God totally provided us with each other so we wouldn't be lonely!

The upside was we got a much better view of the game in the A/C. Why he allowed this to happen to me, besides reiterating these truths, I may never know.  I won't dwell on it anymore, but it does make a pretty sad yet comical story now that some time has passed.
And the outcome of the game.. Well, we won't talk about that. 

God's Blessings, 

Karsyn Penelope


No comments:

Post a Comment